AIRBNB ROAD TRIP ACROSS THE US
As we came to the end of our travels in Asia, we weren’t ready to go home yet. We booked a rental car for 4 weeks, which we ultimately extended to 6 weeks to drive from Seattle back to Boston. Our route changed multiple times along the way. We planned to take a northern route through Montana, Yellowstone National Park, and Minnesota. But thanks to cold temperatures and a southeast Asian wardrobe, we took our route further south.
TRACE OUR JOURNEY...
Our host assured us that we lived on the right side of the tracks and that people in her neighborhood knew to avoid crossing them because of gang activity. Annie said, “Wait- the tracks we just drove by?” They were 6 houses down from the one that we were staying in.
Driving through Hot Springs is a little bizarre. It holds an air of good times passed, but you know after being there, that those heydays are gone. This place is known for 1) being Bill Clinton's boyhood home and 2) having a bunch of old school bathhouses.
This place is apparently a “hard-nosed cattle town,” but it seemed like a trucker stop to us. It’s home to the largest canyon in the state of Texas, the Palo Duro Canyon, which is 2nd in size only to the Grand Canyon. We’re glad we stopped here, but we were happy to keep on going.
We spent two days here and really enjoyed exploring downtown and the Plaza. It was Adam’s first time to Santa Fe, and while Annie had been there prior to visit her brother James, she really hadn’t gotten a chance to do much exploring.
One of the primary missions of our cross-country trip was to experience places unlike home. For this reason, we were really looking forward to our stay in Salt Lake City. We were excited to see some incredible landscapes and learn more about the Mormon lifestyle.
Favorites in Bold
- Scenic drives along I-90 and Route 2
- Afternoon in Leavenworth
- Yakama Nation Indian Reservation
- See our post from the Cascades
- Gas Works Park
- Run around Green Lake
- Ferry Ride to Bainbridge - with the car!
- Wine Tasting in Bainbridge
- Chihuly Glass Garden
- Kerry Park
- Poulsbo and Waterside Walk
- Washington University
- Exploring Fremont
- Troll Under the Bridge
- See our post from Seattle
- Powell's City of Books - for 6 hours!
- Visit to McMenamin's The Baghdad Theatre for Disney's "Made in China"
- Curious Comedy Theatre for local amateur comedy show
- International Rose Test Garden
- Pearl District
- Wine Hangout and Story-Time Reading with our Airbnb Hosts and their kids
- World's Smallest Park
- "Keep Portland Weird" Sign
- See our post from Portland
Utah National Parks
- Tower Arch
- Navajo Loop Trail in Bryce Canyon
- Angel's Landing in Zion
- East Rim Trail to Observation Point in Zion
- Short hike in Canyonlands National Park
- Drive through Capital Reef National Park
- See our post from the Mighty 5 National Parks
Kansas City, kansas
- NASCAR Race at Kansas Speedway
- Repeat lunch at the Mixx (the yummiest salad shop in the world!)
- Run through Loose Park
- See our post from Kansas City
Our US Road Trip was our last stop on our journey. Where did we start?